Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Out and About

Visiting Wellington and exploring the city is very easy. The transit system is very good and I can buy a $5.00 ticket for a day pass and hop on and off the buses until 8PM.
We are doing the downtown today and visiting a few of the trendy shops along Cuba Street. It is breezy and I need to wear a sweater but this is pretty good to my mind considering it is winter.
We took a hike along a harbour trail yesterday not far from the house and the view was once again spectacular. Lots of climbing and the cliffs were near by, we didn't get too close to them. We looked over Breakers Beach, the nude beach in Wellington, but it must have been too cold for the hardy. The only critters on the beach were feathered.
This is a view from the headland looking towards Breaker Bay.



The folks left yesterday and the three cats are finding we are the substitute parents. Sitting on our laps in the evening.
Sheila and I made a Butternut soup last evening, trying to clear out soem of the stuff in the fridge. It was quite tasty and felt nice to cook again after my brief hiatus.
The computer at the house takes a dogs age to boot up so I am once again at the Wellington libray using a large screen monitor and faster speeds.
I managed to find a sewing machine store selling Husqvarna and some fabrics. Colossal prices, the fabric was $28.00 a meter and the machines were about $2500 more than home, for the top of the line models.
Fun to look and realize how lucky I am to be able to live in Canada.
NZ is a great place but the gas is $2.12 a litre and the food prices seem more. They are complaining about cheese prices but it looked to be on the same level as home. Restaurants are pricey a sandwich and coffee, always a struggle to find a decent cup. will run about $10.00.
I will sign out now before the computer disappears. Love to read the comments from all of you.

5 comments:

char said...

NZ is really expensive! Nice that you're able to see a bit of the city for a nice price though.

I was checking out this site:
http://www.wellingtonnz.com/bars_restaurants and it boasts that Wellington is the culinary capital and has heaps of coffee shops. I'm sure you should be able to find something close to...Tim's? lol. i'd much rather steve o'reno's.

you ladies will have to try some sushi while you're there. i'm sure the fish will be quite different. here's one that sounds good: http://www.wellingtonnz.com/bars_restaurants/midori_sushi

stay warm!
love me

Unknown said...

Safe travels, I'm going to keep on reading. Between you and your lovely daughter, I'm longing to take a trip to NZ myself!

Unknown said...

Hi Jane! Char sent me the link to your blog today and I've really enjoyed reading your updates. Sounds like you're having a fabulous trip so far. Wish I was traveling along with you!
Be safe and keep snapping that camera - hope to see the pics someday.
Megan xo

Potpourri said...

Alicia and Megan glad to know that you are reading the tales of the trip downunder. It is a lovely place and we are having loads of experiences.
Charlotte we have been experimentig with the coffee and love the flat white in the cup and the bowl yesterday we enjoyed a moccachino
Folks serve espresso a lot in their homes too, which I find very surprising. perhaps i'll start the trend too and get the machine.

char said...

i was all over the flat white when i was there.